Jupiter Is Descending [Make Better Art]
– So Jupiter is Descending.
– You mean Ascending?
– No I mean Down.
– Up or down? What does it matter? Is there even up or down in space or is it just in your head?
– Yes it matters. Maybe you think that it’s only words. But words and stories is the land where human lives.
– Ah, so you mean it was bad?
– Bad is putting mildly. It sucked Space Balls. I won’t go into too much detail. If you want the whole deal you can check this review out: Jupiter Ascending’ Is Like ‘Battlefield Earth’ Without The Excuse Of Scientology.
– Yes… We don’t know what went wrong. Not even drugs can explain this… this Accident.
– So, should we stay the frack away?
– No it can probably be seen. But this movie falls 100% under what I call the Blockbuster Myth.
– And here we was hoping for the movie of the year… I feel sad and sick at the same time. Any true artist is supposed to level up their skills over the years. It can’t just be written of as a with the now so popular term “Failure”. Everyone who is making movies would be familiar with the Pixar Method by now. Even at Pixar every movie start out as a failure and a bad idea. But over time every movie is iterated through a creative process that either makes it into a success in storytelling or the movies goes on the scrap heap. A place that Jupiter Ascending should be on now. There is no excuse ever to make a bad movie anymore. Especially not with the track record and expectations that comes after Cloud Atlas. The impossible novel that was made into one of the best movies ever.
– So is it 100% rotten?
– Not completely. The movie is a Space Opera just like Guardians of the Galaxy and The Fifth Element. It is visually stunning. And even if it was a goofy B movie it would have been good. But it completely lacks all the charm and humor that would have made us forgive all the plot holes and totally unrealistic way all the characters behaved. It is space eye candy that would have been beautiful as an art project with no story at all. Now it’s just plan fracking bad. Why Wachowskis, Why? Why?
– Guess they failed. Isn’t that what everybody is talking about now a days. Fail often, fail fast?
– Yes. You fail on the way. Practice makes perfect. It’s like Seth Godin says: You Thrash Early. And you fail early… may times… and over time your project becomes better. Then finally when it approaches shipping it becomes great. Or you don’t ship it at all. This especially true for a $176 million project like this movie. Please don’t make a bad movie ever again. One director (or two directing siblings) holding full creative freedom over a creative project of this magnitude is not acceptable anymore. Pull it together. Make good art. Make better art like Neil Gaiman says. And the whole Pixar Method is available to everyone.
– So is there no story at all?
– Yes there is a very good seed. The whole premise that time is the most precious commodity in the universe is something some of us think are true here on Earth already. They could have made such a great movie around this story with real freedom fighters figthing for the freedom of the universe. Now there is whole galaxy that doesn’t seem to care what 3 rich spoiled kids do. They just tucker on with some stupid made up bureaucracy that in now way, shape or form could have made it through billions of years in the galaxy.
– But it’s just a movie. Why are you so upset? Just shut off your brain and enjoy it for what is. Why can’t you do that?
– Haven’t you been listening at all? You can’t just shut of your brain. It’s when you think your brain is the most relaxed and just watching a silly movie, that it is at its most acceptable for a good story with a good message buried inside it. Movies of this magnitude, especially sci-fi and fantasy is the most important tool we have to build a better world.
With great powers of storytelling comes great responsibilities!
Make better art!!!!!!
Holistic Thinking Ninja